Adults can have hearing problems …
- After a viral infection
- After taking some medication which can affect the organ of hearing
- Accidents and injuries
- chronic infections of the ear and ear discharge
- A condition called otosclerosis
- Related to advanced age
How to detect hearing loss in Adults?
- Proper history taking can note the cause, whether the hearing loss is sudden or over a period of time
- examination of the ear drum
- Pure tone Audiometry, Impedance audiometry are done to detect the level of hearing and whether there is fluid collection behind the ear drum.
How to treat hearing loss in Adults?
The treatment depends upon the cause. It’s better to start the treatment as early as possible.
- A pure nerve deafness can be treated with a proper hearing aid. The latest hearing aids work well
- In extreme hearing loss, sometimes hearing aids are of no use. Cochlear implants work well for such patients
- Otosclerosis can be corrected with good stapes surgery
- in case of a hole in the ear drum, good tympanoplasty surgery will help.
The above article is for information only. In case you have a problem, please get a check up done by your specialist and your hearing checked.